Sunday, August 2, 2009

Kombucha Update

So I'm sure you're all on the edge of your seats, wondering what's going on with my kombucha brewing venture. You can relax, I'm going to fill you in right now.

I checked on my jar-o-'booch today, and to my delight, things are happening! Good, culture-growth things. There is a film that has formed on the top, which will become the new "mother" SCOBY, that you can see here:


You can also see that the original SCOBY is growing in size/thickness, and I think there might even be another one that is beginning to grow, as well:



So, I have been asked, what am I going to do with this fungus-tea, if and when it ever comes to maturity. Well, I am going to drink it, of course!

But why!?!? It's got floaty culture bits and who knows what else in it.... I mean, gross.

Colby is concerned:


Kombucha tea comes from China, where it has been brewed for hundreds, maybe even thousands, of years. It is purported to be a kind of "cure-all" tonic, and people who know and love it have story after story about what it has done to improve their health and their lives. What makes kombucha "work" is the fact that it is a living beverage, chock-full of probiotic (good bacteria) material. It is actually available, bottled, at most health-food, Whole-Foods type places. Here's an example of a bottle I purchased and drank at my local Kimberton Whole Foods store:


I highly recommend this flavor. Yum!

So why am I, specifically, interested in this beverage? Those of you who know me well, also know that I have quite the problem stomach. One of the main benefits ascribed to the consumption of probiotics is improved digestion and gastrointestinal function.

Plus, the homebrewing process appeals to both the science geek and culinary crafter in me ;)

*Phew!* Colby is relieved.



You can all go back to your regularly-scheduled Sunday naps, now (Colby in particular).

No comments:

Post a Comment