Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Obsession: ATCs

So, I recently started making ATCs for a swap I'm involved in. "What in the world is an ATC?" you wonder? Well, let me enlighten you.

ATC stands for "Artist Trading Card." The only hard and fast rule is that they have to measure 2.5" by 3.5", and they are not supposed to be sold, just traded.

There's more info here, on Craftster. You can also peruse pages of ATCs made by all kinds of crafters.

In this particular swap, participants make lists of different themes in which they would like to recieve ATCs. Person A posts a list, then person B "claims" them for one of there themes, then posts their own list. Person C claims person B for one of there themes, posts their list, and so on (until the end of August). So far, I have made 4 claims. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good picture of the first ATC I made, but here are the other three (and their respective themes):

"Cthulhu"


This one I did in a yarn painting style, with a red Swarovski eye. Here's another angle:


"Edgar Allen Poe"


This is just a collage, with pages from a magazine, a printed portrait of Poe, and black puffy paint. Another angle:



"Om nom nom nom"


Another magazine collage, with a ruffle for textural interest. Here's a pre-ruffle pic that shows the color a little better:



These are super fun to make, and I imagine I'll make a lot more. Anyone can make them, and they give you a chance to try out different techniques and styles on a small scale. I love the "trading card" idea, and I look forward to acquiring a collection :)

No comments:

Post a Comment